Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Walgreens Balance Rewards Redemption Time


It took me about 6 weeks to accumulate 40,000 Balance Rewards at Walgreens which is worth $50.00.  I did redeem some points during that time too, but I did save the bulk of it up for a big shopping trip.  For the last few weeks, I combed through the ad to see if there were enough sale items that I wanted to get for this trip, and it finally came together during their 2-day Memorial Day sale which ended yesterday.  I had a few guidelines:


  1. Because Walgreens regular prices are higher than Cub, I would not get anything at full price to maximize my savings
  2. I would not get anything that earned Balance Rewards, since I can't earn BR when I redeem them
I got out a spreadsheet and calculated the costs including coupon savings, to a total around $51.00.  I also had a couple store gift cards to use which would make anything over $50 at no out of pocket cost.

At the store, I noticed only 1 familiar face and realized that most of the regular Monday staff were probably taking a much deserved break.  I sure hoped the cashier I got would be coupon friendly or this wouldn't work.  There were also a few items that were not in stock or were not priced like I thought they should be, that I passed on.  I opted for a few other items instead to get my totals back up.

I finally got everything and went up to the registers - but first I needed to do a price check.  The Off! spray wasn't marked on the shelves, but they were in the ad and in the picture of the ad.  So I asked the cashier, an elderly man to price check before I started my large transaction.  If the spray wasn't the right price, I'd end up paying $8.00 too much and it wouldn't be a deal.  Another cashier came along, the cosmetic lady and helped me out.  Turns out, the spray should've been on sale but it wasn't.  I brought it to the store's attention.  Yep, I'm becoming that kind of customer.

I checked out at the cosmetic counter, which is always my first choice!  She told me that she's glad she checked me out, because the other man wasn't very good with coupons and it would stress him out.  We had a win-win situation!  Yes, it does help to get the right cashier.  The cosmetics counter is so much nicer because they usually know more about coupons and deals and there is rarely a line forming behind me.  

Everything worked perfectly, and my total was $54.86 with tax.  I redeemed 40,000 points for $50.00, then used a gift card balance for the rest = TOTALLY FREE!

Here's what I got:
  • 2 - Samy Fat hair sprays - b1g1 1/2 off
  • 3 - bags of chips $1.99 ea
  • Indiana popcorn $1.99
  • 3 - 24 pack water $1.99 ea
  • Bread $.99
  • Lipton stix black tea lemon, clearance for $ .94 (filler item)
  • 2 - All 28 load detergent $3.49ea
  • Steakhouse jerky, clearance $1.19 (filler)
  • 2 - Kellogs fruit crisps $2.50 ea
  • 3 - Triscuits $2.99 ea
  • Oral B toothbrush $2.99
  • Heinz ketchup $3.79 (wasn't on sale but I needed it and had a coupon)
  • 2 - Nice! lunchmeats 2/$3
  • 2 - Off! Deep Woods spray $4.99ea
  • 2 - Simply lemonade 59oz $1.99 ea
Balance Rewards savings: $31.87
Store coupons: $5.98
Store savings: $6.45
MQ's: $11.75
= $109.03 worth of groceries
Plus, I received $2 in RR from the Oral B brush and still have 4,050 BR points left

I love my Wags!

No comments:

Post a Comment